I won’t take full credit for this idea; on a search for protein packed vegetarian meals I found this beauty of a recipe for Egg Fried Quinoa at The Recipe Critic (check it out if you’re a non low FODMAP kinda person) and decided to make some FODMAP friendly adaptations!
The trick here is to time your cooking so that you finish frying the veggies and eggs just as the Quinoa has finished cooking (unless you got pre-cooked Quinoa of course). Also don’t be afraid to throw in some of your favourite veggies to the mix!
What you’ll need: (makes one rather generous serving)
- 1/4 cup dry Quinoa (or 1 protein powder scoop, it seriously makes the perfect single measurement!) Or if pre-cooked use whatever the package suggests for one serving
- 1 small or 1/2 a large parsnip peeled, finely sliced (I used the peeler to make some nice thin strips) and then chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 of a large red pepper
- 2 eggs beaten in a bowl
- Gluten Free Soy Sauce
- Sesame oil (a little for frying and about 1 tsp for mixing in at the end)
- 1 spring onion chopped (green part only)
What to do:
- If you’re using dry Quinoa, cook as per the packet instructions
- While the Quinoa is cooking, heat some oil in a frying pan, set to a medium heat and add your red pepper and parsnip and fry for 3-5 minutes (until the parsnips are slightly tender and browned)
- Move the veggies to the side of the frying pan and add your beaten eggs to scramble
- Once the eggs are scrambled, mix the egg and veggies together.
- Once the Quinoa has cooked add it to the veggie egg mix and stir in 1 tsp of sesame oil and gluten free soy sauce
- Add in some spring onion (green part only now) if desired, plate up and enjoy the magic!